Sunday, January 2, 2011

Living and Learning

I am definitely a life long student.  I enjoy learning new things and for me that happens everyday whether I am studying or not.  Yesterday was a day with several lessons hiding in the shadows.  Did I learn them all?  Did I find them all?  NOPE! But as always it is an adventure.

Yesterday was a nice day to just BE.  It was the first day of my winter vacation that I didn't go anywhere or have any plans.  I was finally able to stay home and get some things done around here. Laundry was the biggest task on my list and it took all day.  I also took time to play with my doggies and go for walks with them.  I also spent a good chunk of my day grading papers.  That's where I learn some things from my lessons for my students.  For example - 6th grade boys just don't get things like the girls do and I have to figure out how to help them get it.  A challenge and a lesson I think I'll be working on for a while.

With the half marathon just six days away, I figured I better get out and remind my legs what to do.  I took CopperDog for a 4 mile run on our usual route.  I felt ok....but I really hate these new shoes.  They just don't feel right.  My IT band ends up hurting and my groin muscles get really tight.  I hate having to switch to the next "edition" of a shoe.  Why can't they just leave things be??  I guess they will have to do for the half since I really don't have much time to figure out a new pair and get them broken in. 

I am hoping to get back out today for 5 or 6 miles to get stretched back out.  Then I will take Monday to run three miles, take Tuesday off and run 3 or 4 on Wednesday.  Thursday we fly out at 6 pm and get into Orlando late.  The Disney magic will start to set in as we pick up our packets, spend some time together and get ready for our races on Friday.  My Baby sister and I are running the Disney Half and my Dad, Lil Sis, and SIL are running the Disney Full.  It will be a great weekend!

No comments: