Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Summer Training/Race Schedule

WOW!!!  I took some time last night and today putting together my summer training and race schedule.  YIKES!!  I didn't realize it has so quickly filled up.  But before I get to that a little look back...

I've done a few half marathons over the last 6 years, I think ten or more, but I can't remember.  Up until last year I always came in right around the 2 hour mark. Last summer I found a training plan on LogYourRun and used that to try to beat my time and come in under 1:50 mins.  The plan I randomly picked was intense, had lots of long runs and lots of miles but it was good for me.  I didn't follow it exactly but I did try to stick to it as much as possible.  I hadn't realized how helpful a training plan was until I was almost done with the plan.  I found that it was pushing me and definintely was helping my speed and conditioning.  The day of the half marathon it was a complete downpour but we decided to run it anyway since we trained so hard for it.  I beat my goal and came in at 1:48 which confirmed to me that training plans do work. 

Last night I did some searching for a training plan that might help me get in the 1:40-1:45 range for the half marathons I have scheduled this summer. I tried to find the one I used last summer but wasn't able to pull it up.  So I spent quite a bit of time pulling up plans in LogYourRun and through internet searches.  I came across this one and decided to go with that as my base plan and adjust to fit my schedule and summer races.  The little description for the plan stated: 
Short Training Schedules for Runners experienced in the Half, 10k & 5k

17-week Half Marathon Schedule for a 1:45 - 2-hour finish time. Use this schedule if running 22-30km (13-18 miles) per week by week 1. Includes a speed workout each week.
So once I got the information plugged into an excel spreadsheet I started adding some of the races I knew where in the area and that we've done in the past.  Once I added the races I adjusted my cross training, rest days and long runs to fit.  Here's what I came up with:



YIKES!!!  I don't know if I will do all those 5k's but I pencilled them in for now.  For some of those races, I will probably do the race and then go back and do more miles to make it my long run.  One nice thing about plans is that they are just that plans and plans can change.  This just helps me keep focused on what I can do to reach the goal I have set for myself.  

So what do you think?   Overzealous?  Do's /don'ts from your own experience?  What kind of training plans have you used for half marathons?  I'd love some feedback. 

2 comments:

Julia said...

i think your training plan looks great! it looks perfect for your half marathons! I have yet to truly follow a training plan so I have not seen the power of it yet...I am hoping to for my next full marathon though. I really want to shoot for a 4 hr marathon so I want try a plan that helps me with that. Your experience with using one to work toward a time inspired me!

good luck with your training!

Amanda said...

The training plan looks great. Ohh boy....we do have a busy summer running schedule!! I am sure you will kick butt again on the half marathons like you always do when you set a goal for yourself.