Saturday, May 14, 2011

May Day 10K Race Recap

Today was one of my favorite 10K's in the area.  The course is an out and back, flat course.  There were probably close to 250 people with 5k Walkers, 5k Runners and 10k Runners.  It was very overcast, dreary and cool 58 degrees with a light drizzle.

The race started right on time at 9 am.  10k'ers started first and head out the stretch of road which still had some car traffic on it and then we headed down to the bike path.  I felt really good starting out.  I had my garmin and music so I was able to set a good pace.  There was a group of about seven girls ahead of me, with SB somewhere in that group.  I kept my eyes on them and just focused on closing the gap.  I was able to get around most of them before the halfway point. 

When I got to the turnaround I was able to see that there was just one girl between me and SB.  So I just set into a grove behind that girl and started to chant one of the sayings on the back of someone's shirt.  It said Fight It, Believe It, Win It.    I think that got me through miles 4.5 to 5.5.  After that I was able to pick it up a little bit.  I never was able to catch up to SB but did finish in 48:14.  I don't have my time for last year, I think it was in 49 mins.  The year before I had a 48:43 so overall I accomplished my goal of doing better than last year and even the previous year too.

My dad finished around 51 and my sister Anda finished in 55.  My baby sis, Rob did the 5k in 25 mins.  SB got second in her age group(5th girl overall), I got third in my age group (6th girl overall) and Dad got third in his age group as well. 


We had fun waiting around for results and then did some puddle stompin with the niece on the way to the car.




An excellent day for a race with my family even in the dreary weather!!!

1 comment:

Julia said...

i love that the whole family went out together for the race!! how fun! and WOW everyone did so amazing! COngrats on a great and fun day :)