Saturday, June 11, 2011

Hello Summer Vacation

YAY!  I made it!  I survived my sixth year of teaching!  (Three years at a previous school and three years at this one.) 


Yesterday was a busy day.  I had school until 11:30, graduation practice, and then a nice lunch with my beautiful lil sis, Amanda.  After lunch I went to the Beagle Club to work for a few hours to get the club house and grounds straightened before their Beagle Show tomorrow.  After sweating in the muggy sunshine I met up with my baby sis and stole my neice for a few hours.  We went back to Aunt Mandwe's house to play before I had to get cleaned up for graduation.  I attended the graduation and then finally made it back home by 10:45.  Long Day!

That leads me to this morning.  Up-and-at-em by 6:45 so that I could get ready for the 5k Race. I met up with Dad, Manda, Rob, Adam, Mom and Ella beans at the race and spent time lovin on the neice till start time.  It was just a small local 5k with a really good turnout.  My mom cheered us on while we all raced.  Even the little Ella Beaners raced in her Bob (running stroller) with her GrandBob pushing her. 

I felt pretty good during the race considering I hadn't run at all in 8 days.  I started out a little fast but was able to tuck it back in for a bit until the turn around where I slowly picked up speed.  When we took off I knew their was some good competition and was happily surprised at the turn around when I realized I was 8th girl overall.  I still had my sights on two girls ahead of me that I was pretty sure I could pass.  Shortly after the halfway mark I did just that.  I knew there would be a very very small chance that I could catch girl #4 and #5 that were right ahead of me. 

I started to struggle a bit at 2.75.  The sun was really cookin' things up by then.  I was hot, tired and out of fuel (probably because I didn't eat dinner the night before and only a granola bar for breakfast.) One of these days I'll learn to eat better before a race).  I finshed 6th girl overall, 2nd in my age group, in 23:49.  My dad was 2nd in his age group, Robyn and Manda were 2nd and 3rd in their age group. 

One thing I have to say about this race is that the course flat and easy.  It goes by quick and I like being able to do an out and back race every now and then so that you can see everyone in the race.  Another thing is this race has awesome raffle prizes.  They did a fantastic job of getting donations.  4 out of the 5 of us got gift certificates.  All together the value of those gift certificates was over $295.00! 

After the race it was home to mow grass, work on my herb garden and tackle 5 loads of laundry!  A very successful day!  Congratulations to Julia on her first marathon!  Go check out her race recap and congratulate her on an awesome marathon!

1 comment:

SbMac said...

Awesome run today!! Welcome to summer break!