I grew up eating a mix of whole foods and processed box foods - but often times homecooked, from scratch meals with food from the garden throughout the whole year. But there in my twenties when it was all up to me, I ate out a lot more and made the quick and easy processed foods - from the box type of meals. Not that they are BAD for you just not as good for you as fresh produce and whole foods.
Here's what I've learned in just a little bit of researching:
Processed foods are produced using manufacturing methods to transform raw ingredients into neatly packaged goods, which have a longer shelf life. Monosodium glutamate (MSG), flavors, preservatives, hydrogenated oil, fillers, and artificial sweeteners are just some of the artifical ingredients used in processed foods. Usually, consumers can prepare them quickly without a lot of time and effort. However, they don’t offer much in nutritional value.
Whole foods are grown in orchards, gardens, or greenhouses, are unprocessed and unrefined, and have a shorter shelf life. These foods are authentically flavorful, have vibrant colors, and rich textures. Moreover, they are full of the micronutrient vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, phytochemicals, and fiber. Typically, they require longer preparation times. (Source: http://www.naturalnews.com/022175.html#ixzz1ZrBc7zvJ)
Along with thinking about the difference in those two, I find myself thinking more about my balanced meals and getting the "right foods" and "right amounts" from the food pryamid food plate.
![]() |
| Source |
I vote thumbs up for this new interpretation of the food pyramid. Definitely a much different way of thinking about the types and quantity of foods you need to eat at each meal and in my own opinion a better way to think about things. I think this is easy for kids to understand and that is where healthy eating really starts. If a child is eating a well balanced, whole food type of meal often growing up they are more likely to stick with it or come back to it when they get older.
Just my two cents for the day....all spurred on by my whole foods dinner tonight as I work towards my goals for the month.
QOTD: What do you think about the food plate? How do you measure up? Does your plate usually look like the diagram? What kind of foods did you eat growing up versus the foods you eat today?

1 comment:
I really like the new plate. It is much easier to teach kids about it too! Most days my plate is pretty good....probably missing the grains.
Post a Comment