Saturday, July 16, 2011

Race in Rememberance 5K - Race Recap

Today we all met up for our last 5k race until August!  Today's race was the Race in Remembrance 5k.  This race helps to raise scholarship money for students in Remembrance of those students who lost their lives in Flight 800.  The race is only held once every 5 years.  My dad and I ran it back in 2006 and I remembered it to be a very nice race with a very good turnout and for a great cause.

SB met us there, she ran 10 miles from home to the race so that she could get in her 13 miles for the day.     Dad, Amanda, Adam, Robyn and Ella beans all came to run as well.  I decided last night that I was going to shoot to get out of the 23's for this 5k since I knew it was all flat and would be easy. I decided to aim for 22:30 and set my Garmin Training Assistant to help me along.  When I got to the race they had the times from 5 years ago and I saw that I finished 1st in my age group with a 22:35 so I was really set to beat that time.

There were quite a few runners and it started off on a little narrow section so it was a little busy in the beginning.  I met up with one of the ladies that I know always finishes ahead of me or right with me.  She was aiming to finish in the 21's so I knew I needed to keep her in my sights.  I kept my eye on my Garmin and was ahead of my pacing assistant in the beginning.  The first mile I probably took off a little fast with 6:45 min mile but felt ok.  The 2nd mile I slowed it down to 7:00 and could feel that I was pushing myself.  I was definitely out of my comfortable race zone.  I started to get pretty tired at 2 1/2 but pushed along still ahead of  my pace so I knew I could finish with my goal.  

It is hard to describe to a non-runner the "thrill" and feeling you get when you know you are pushing yourself.  You are leaving it all out there and not holding back, but yet it feels so good.  My legs were tired and my breathing was a little tough but I loved it.  I was pushing harder than usual and definitely didn't have the energy to kick it at the end.  It is a good thing no one tried to "race" me to the finish because I wouldn't have been able to get them.  I was excited when I could see the clock and it was still in the 21's but didn't make it to the finish line and cross the mats until 22:10!!!!  Crushed my goal!!!  One of the best time I've had in years.  I didn't know if I could do it, if I had the "speed" potential but now I know I do.  I just might have to set a new goal for the next 5k to see if I can get in the 21's. 

Robyn, Sarah and Amanda all swept their age group with 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  I got 3rd in my age group.  My little niece who is just 19 months RAN her first little race in the grass today and she won 3rd in her age group too!  She was too cute holding her mommy and Aunt Mandwe's hands bookin it down the path.  Again I forgot my camera to catch the cuteness to share.  I'm working on that.

I did get  my camera after we were all done to get a picture of me and my sisters sporting our ActiveBands!  If you haven't discovered the greatness of this ActiveBands you have to check them out!  Great product, stays in place and does its job the whole time.  It is great with my new short hairdo.  It keeps all my layers tucked back and away from my face when I run!  Love them!

Sarah, Amanda, Me and Robyn


QOTD:  How would you describe that feeling of pushing yourself to beat a goal and leaving it all out their on the course, to a non-runner?  For me it is just an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and pride knowing that I can achieve things when I put the time and effort into working for them.   Exhausting but so inner-rewarding.  Definitely the runner's high.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

WOW!! 3rd in your age group is awesome girl!!! That is a great time. You are Speedy McSpeedster!! Congratulations!

There's no feeling like crossing that finish line knowing you have worked so hard for months and giving it ALL you have on race day! The pain is temporarily but the proud feeling of finishing something that was hard to do lasts forever!!