Workout: 5.13 trail race in 45:40
This morning I met up with Anda, SIL - SB, and my dad for the 5 mile Wildlife for Everyone Race. It is a five mile trail run in area game lands. This was the first time we've run this race. Usually on this weekend in July we travel to Utica, NY for the Boilermarker 15k, but decided not to travel this time.
The race is tucked back in the gamelands and the course was marked very well. Since it was a trail run we of course had various types of ground to cover....grass, rocks, mud, sticks, gravel, broken pavement. The first mile and a half was pretty rough for me. My legs felt like I had cinder blocks on them and I felt like I was shuffling my feet through the grass. My calves, ankles and feet were really struggling. I finally found a great song on my ipod and which helped me to relax and find my groove. I was singing along though the song three times which got me to mile 4. The last mile was through rough grass and at this point my feet were really starting to tingle and get tired. The last half mile was up a good little hill which was really tough to push up. I wanted to stop and walk but kept moving once I asked someone how close the finish was. Right before the finish was a little flatter with more dirt so I was able to kick it in for the finish.
SB was ahead of me a little ways. She finished as the third girl just 20 seconds behind girl one and two. I was about a minute and half behind SB and finished as fourth girl overall and second in my age group. I still definitely feel like I need to keep pushing myself and work on lowering my pace...but considering it was a trail run today and not the typical road race I am happy with my overall time and pace. Dad finished behind me and was second in his age group and Manda was fourth in her age group.
This race had great door prizes and we all walked away with one. My door prize was a mug and hat. The awards were different too. Instead of the typical medals or tropies they gave out Blankets, Coolers or a Pocket Knife. You got your pick as you got called for your age group award. SB and Dad got pocket knives and I went with the cooler.
| My door prize and age group "medal". |
QOTD: Do you like and compete in any trail runs? What's an interesting non typical "medal" that you've received?
3 comments:
great recap! it sounds like you really pushed through and so exciting that you all placed!!!
i have done so few trail runs but every one I do I am more in love with being out on trails...I really want to do a TRUE trail race here one of these days :)
The most interesting non-medal I have received...hmmm. All that is coming to my mind right now is a water bottle. At one of the races we got shorts instead of a race shirt though...that was kinda cool.
I just started running trail races this year. I still prefer road races but the trails are a nice for something different every now and then. In fact, yesterday I ran 18.25 of a 50 miles trail race and loved it. I was a pacer for my husband who was running the whole 50.
I enjoy reading your blog :)
Loved reading that recap! That seemed like it was pretty tough. Congratulations to you for getting it done! Someday I would like to try a trail race. I love you prizes. It's always fun to get something a little different. Great job on your race!
Post a Comment