Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Running the Nerves Away

Workout:  4.8 mile run  in 43:14 with Dad

I really had trouble falling asleep last night.  I just couldn't get my little brain to shut down for the night.  I was tossing and turning worrying about my presentation today to fellow co-teachers.  I spent lots of time the last two weeks prepping, but was still nervous.  I've done a gazillion different training workshops with my old job and I've presented at other teacher related conferences but I was still worried about presenting in front of teachers I see every day.  I only had three hours to teach them about Prezi, VoiceThread, Wordle, Wallwisher, Voki and Polleverywhere.  Being the crazy schedule oriented person I had the training mapped out minute by minute.  Somehow I made it through.  My co-teachers were fantastic.  Picked up everything very quickly, asked great questions and really contributed to my training.  It was probably one of my best trainings.  And the plus to working so hard on this training is that I learned lots of somethings along the way.  It really helped me too by practice putting those tools together. 

Thank goodness I met up with my dad this morning for a run.  He helped me talk and run the nerves right out of me.  We just ran around in town and I was so thankful that I actually "liked" running today.  It all felt good again.  I didn't feel like I was dying.  Probably because my mind was distracted with internal conversations about my presentation that it didn't really notice all the running that was going on. 

So luckily my mind will be quite busy for the next week with more planning, crazy internal dialogue, ideas and figuring out my next three presentations.  Maybe running will be back to feeling fun and enjoyable since I'll be so distracted.   I will test that theory out as I finish up three more runs this week, starting with a six miler tomorrow.

 

1 comment:

AKieser said...

Hey...let me know if I can help with any of the presentations - I might have documents you can use.

Like you, I really stress about presentations, but I learn so much by doing and teaching them!