Monday, July 4, 2011

HM Week 3 Recap

Week three is done!  I made it through pretty close to the planned miles but once again a little light in running miles.  I am guessing that between Sunday through Wednesday I walked around 20 or more miles at the Convention Center in Philly.  Which I think falls into the good cross training category, doesn't it??

On Sunday morning I met up with my Dad and Sister for a morning run in town.  I wanted to take a break from all the hills out here and have a chance to run a relatively flat course.  We planned to meet down at the River park area and then run the River Walk loop.  With the loop and the extra mile from the Park area we would have had right around 7 miles. 

We got the first mile in and then ran into another runner who told us that they closed a big portion of the river walk due to setting up for the 4th of July Fireworks show.  So we had to modify the loop and ended up running through town but still meeting up with the official HM training water boy (ie...Adam - Amanda's Fiance).

 We talked, caught up and kept a comfortable pace on the way out.  When we finally met up with Adam we had in 4.5 miles.   There really wasn't a "shorter" way to get back to where we started so we turned around and headed back.  Adam met us in our second water stop area at mile 7.  Amanda decided to stop there and ride back with Adam, but Dad and I decided to run the rest of the way.  I felt pretty good the rest of the way back.  It started to get a little tougher around mile 8.5.  I fought a good fight with my legs....they were screaming to stop but I wouldn't let them until my Garmin beeped 9.0 miles.  My dad was a running machine this weekend....he ran 21 miles in two days.  A 12 mile run with SB and the 9 mile run with us.  Go Daddy!!

It was two extra miles but I think I was ready for it.  Overall on that run my pace was 9:36 min mile which I was happy with.  Now I know I will be good to go the next four weeks since my plan has me doing 8 and 9 mile long runs until July 24th.  On those long runs, I am going to try to work on my pacing and get that back down.

So here's a quick recap of my week 3 half marathon training plan:


This week my goal is to FOLLOW my training plan.  Hoping to stick to what I have laid out for once..



I am shooting for the Tuesday run out here with Copper and working in some yoga on Wednesday.  Thursday, I will try to plan a run with my dad and SB in town.  Saturday is the Wildlife for Everyone 5 miler which we are all looking forward to.  Sunday I hope to try for maybe a hilly 8 miles since my second half marathon is going to be ALL HILLS I better continue working on those hills.

QOTD #1: Do you follow your training plan pretty closely or are you all over the place - moving things around like I do? 

QOTD #2:  What do you eat as your recovery foods right after you run?  I am trying to gather some ideas so I can do better at getting in some protein within that two hour window after training when my muscles need it the most.

3 comments:

Julia said...

20 miles walking??? that definitely counts as cross training!!

you are awesome for getting those 9 miles and at a great pace as well! good work!

I am terrible at following a training plan. very rarely do i follow even one day exactly right...oh well. It usually all works out in the end...at least I hope :)

For after runs I like either protein drinks, protein smoothies, fruit, etc!

good luck with your training this week!

Kelsey @ Go Girl said...

I'm totally not the person to be asking for actual advice concerning running, but I love love love eating a Clif bar or Gu chomps post run. During the winter, I eat a chocolate chip bagel post long run to recover quickly.

Great job on the training! :)

Amy said...

I am horrible at following training plans. I wish I was better, but I'm not. Real life always gets in the way. One of these days...

And after a long run, nothing is better for me than a smoothie. It's cold and lots of great nutritional value for a recovering body!