Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Strength training is IMPORTANT!

Workout:  30 mins yoga and 30 min walk with Cabella and Macy

Why do I always put strength training on the back burner?  I do not like to strength train, but when I do work on it I realize just how weak I am.  Today I decided to work on some yoga since I've been saying that I would all summer long.

I can't believe how quickly you can lose strength.  I did a lot of yoga, pilates and strength training this spring but really slacked off once the warm weather got here.  I was ready to collapse within the first few minutes of the workout.  Nothing seemed easy.  All my muscles were tight and even the upward dog was difficult.  Ugh.   I really seem to lose flexibility if I just do all running and no strength training.  It feels like all my muscles are just shortened up and compacted.  Once I got done, I could already tell a difference - the slight backbends didn't hurt as much and I already felt "longer".  If that makes any sense.

I definitely need to work on this.  I can be motivated to run but never seem to find the extra time to work in strength training.  The only reason I did it today was because I didn't run and I didn't take the beagles to the club to chase rabbits.  I decided just to stay home and focus on little things I've been meaning to get to. 

Moral of my story this morning is to remember that strength training is important and you will notice a difference in how you feel and how your body moves throughout the day and during your next run.  It really does help and shouldn't be forgotten about.  I know so many of you are great at balancing running and strength training and I am in awe of how you manage it all.  Maybe someday I will figure that balance out.

4 comments:

Nikki said...

Amen Sista!!! I am just learning to love strength training. It is hard and I am for sure weak, but for some reason it just makes you feel stronger until you actually get stronger!! HA! Keep it up. You're doing awesome!!

fancy nancy said...

Well said! I love strength training but it always takes a back burner to cardio....unfortunately it is really starting to show!

Julia said...

SO TRUE!!! i actually love lifting weights but yoga just makes me feel so dumb. i am NOT flexible and NOT coordinated. haha. i have tried it a few times at home and have had similar experiences to you "why don't i do this more often?? it feels so good!!" haha. i usually use the excuse that Riley won't stop licking my face so its distracting...kinda true but then again...probably just looking for an excuse!! ;) i want to get better at it though!

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

Your post reminded me that I forgot to do my strength training today. I've been trying to keep that up 3 times a week. Thanks!