Thursday, August 4, 2011

Feeling stronger

Workout:  7.49 mile run in 1:11:12 with Dad

It has been a while since I've run in the late afternoon.  Since school got out, I've been doing all my runs in the early morning.  So today's run was a little different.  Luckily the temps were not as high as forecasted.  It felt good when we got started at 3:40.  However up the first big hill I began to really feel the mugginess of the afternoon.  Dad and I kept up a pretty good pace up the hills and only walked a few times.

I was worried about doing a long run and not having any water stops but felt good.  I didn't feel dehydrated but I am sure a drink along the way would have tasted pretty good.  I felt pretty good.  I was a little worried that my yoga workout from yesterday would have left me a little sore for my run but guess what?  You'll never guess.... strength training makes you stronger!  Can you believe it!  It's true! 

Just changing up your routine everynow and then makes a difference.  My muscles woke up yesterday and were used in a different way which I think make them work better for me today.  Yes I am a little sore but it is a good sore.  I really need to do strength training more often.  I like the feeling of knowing that I'm doing my body some good by challenging it in different ways. 

When we got done with the long run I took my Gatorade Recovery.  It tasted pretty good after todays run.  I didn't get dinner in me until 7 and by then I was starting to feel lightheaded, so I knew I needed to get myself replenished.  I am realizing mroe and more just how important it is to refuel and help my muscles recover quickly.  Now it is time to get in a few more of ounces of water before I head to bed to get up for another run tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

Julia said...

wow you are hard core to run tonight and get right back at it in the am! impressive girl! so glad you felt awesome and that you were able to get some benefits from strength training so quickly! sounds like a great run with your dad :)