Saturday, April 16, 2011

Race Recap - YMCA Spring Run

Racing Season is slipping into full speed.  We had our second race this morning and picked up two more race flyers for June and July. 

It didn't look half bad out there this morning when I got up at 6:30, but the race wasn't until 10 am.  It was a 5k race to benefit our local YMCA.  It was in a different town then most of our races and only 15 mins from my house which was nice.  After 5 different outfits because I couldn't figure the weather out, I ate a quick granola bar for breakfast and headed out.  I met my Dad and SIL at the race and got registered.  Sis and Baby Sis weren't in town this weekend to run with us so our gang was a little short numbered.  It was really windy but the rain held off until we were finishing which I was very thankful for. 

The race started out flat and then had a nice hill - not too big, not too small, just right hill - and then a smooth downhill until it flattened out for the finish.  I was doing pretty good and could see girl #1, and #2 ahead of me most of the time.  When I did the final corner to the hill and flat finish the wind caught my hat so I had to turn around and get it and then on the downhill my shoe came untied.  So I lost about 15 seconds or so there.  I lost sight of the girls in the last half mile, but worked on helping a first time 5k-er finish strong.  He was letting me start to get past him so I was screaming at him to push and forced him to kick it in so that he finished just ahead of me.  As I was finishing I was trying to figure out how I could have possibly pulled at 21:15 because I knew I didn't push that hard and was told that the clock was off by 2 minutes so I had a 23:15 (or somewhere around there) which is about where I though I'd be.  It's still early in the season and I haven't been running all that hard during the week so I should see mid 22's by the July 16th race.

All in all  a good FUN RUN.  Nice turn out but not full of the 5k race usuals.  My Dad, SIL and I all got 1st in our age group and I was 3rd girl overall.  So the goal for the next few weeks is to increase the weekly miles and get in 4, 5 and a 6 mile run before the May Day 10k on May 14.

1 comment:

Julia said...

way to go! 1st in your age group and 3rd girl overall is totally ROCKING!!